Squid Stewed with Tomatoes
This Italian style squid stewed with tomatoes is absolutely foolproof and delicious! Crusty bread for dipping is a must!
• 500g Shore Mariner Natural Squid Rings, Thawed
• 3 tablespoons olive oil
• 1 onion, sliced
• 3 cloves garlic, chopped
• 2 tablespoons tomato paste
• 1 teaspoon dried chili flakes
• 2 teaspoons fresh thyme, chopped
• 400g chopped tomatoes
• 1/2 red wine
• 1 cup beef stock
• 1/2 cup black olives
• 1/2 teaspoon sugar
• Salt & pepper to taste
• Basil, to serve
• Artisan bread
• Thaw Natural Squid Rings according to packet instructions and set them aside for later.
• Heat oil in a large pan, preferably cast iron, and add onion, stirring occasionally.
• Add garlic, tomato paste, chili flakes, and thyme, and stir well to combine. Cook for 2-3 minuets.
• Increase the heat to high, and add chopped tomatoes, red wine, beef stock, sugar, and olives. Boil until the liquid has reduced. Lower heat and simmer for 15 minutes.
• Add thawed Natural Squid Rings and simmer for another 10 minutes or until squid is tender.
• Once the squid is cooked and tender, season to taste.
• Serve with basil leaves and your favorite toasted artisan bread.